Thursday 18 August 2016

AMAZING RACE by Sharon Koech

I am obviously a black woman. We all are black women unless, of course, we are lucky or unlucky enough to have a white woman with us today. A Mongloid even. Or a Latino woman (why are you so beautiful? And why are you so confused about your race? How could you not know to which race you belong?), in which case we appreciate you. Welcome aboard. But men, you can go to sleep now. It’s bed time gentlemen. Tuck tight and dream about us.
However, some of us are blacker (read darker) than others and I always ask myself why. Why? Why some us are, well…more endowed with blessings called melanin. Why didn’t The Big Boss up there just make us all the same? You know, evenly distribute this blessing. I mean, we are already black. We do not need to discriminate against ourselves on the basis of colour (our more than fifty shades of black). We already have races to worry about. And besides, I am sure if the darker species were requested to donate some of their melanin to the yellow, semi-orange ones so that afterwards  we can all become an in-between; some kind of brown, they would be willing (more than willing) to do it. We are a generous species. Black people are generous. We are an amazing race.
But then again, I don’t hate this idea of being black. And dark. In fact, I think it’s a really nice thing. I have thought about it. I will admit that I have, once or twice or thrice or four times in my lifetime wished I was a little lighter. Are there times you look at a photograph of yourself and you look so good. So much better. That photo session using your Infinix phone with a flash did you well. Or those times you take a selfie at sunset and a passing ray of light accidentally falls on your face and illuminates it perfectly. And your countenance glows like never before. And you look divine. But of course you know that you are as dark as midnight. Nevertheless, you’re happy. You are very beautiful, aren’t you? You immediately post the photo on Facebook and Instagram. Very good. Let’s see what your friends and followers have to say. Let’s see how beautiful everyone thinks you are.
There are people called light skins. Categorized into two: natural and artificial light skins.
Natural light skins: I really do not want to talk much about these people. They are the ones upon whom the favour of the Lord is bestowed. They make the rest of us look cursed. They who steal our boyfriends. A total betrayal to the black race. A total disgrace. I do not like them. I do not have a light-skin friend. If you are one of them and you think you are my friend, you are living a lie, sister girl.
The artificial light skins are the bunch that really fascinates me. These ones have not only had bad thoughts like me; they have acted upon these thoughts. They have actually done something about the situation. Drastic measures. Wonderful. I do not know what exactly they do to themselves but they transform completely and look like our natural light-skins, only scary. I think they mix up some highly reactive chemicals that totally kill the melanin. Veradication of darkness. Or to be more specific, Verasidikation of darkness. Witchcraft.
We are all wonderfully made, according to my pastor. Well, of course some are fearfully made but that only means people will fear you and not give you shit. And that’s a good thing.
I have never found a good enough reason why anybody would walk around with a bleached face and black elbows and knees. Some even bleach the face alone and so have to wear full necks and maxi dresses and boots and we all think it’s their swag. How hot do they feel? I mean literal hotness? Just being curious, lady, don’t you feel fake? I wonder what would happen if such a person was walking out of Mr. Price, just from checking out full necks; new arrivals. Then they start feeling some discomfort. First at the lower limbs area then higher, higher, at the thighs now. Both thighs and in the boots. More discomfort, pinching…pain. Too much pain. Ants. It’s an ant infestation. It is now widespread and the only way around it is to strip. Down to the skin. Everything from the full neck to the maxi dress down to the boots. We all see your body. Then your face. The contrast. The paradox. The confusion. Some shake their heads in disbelief. Tom Mboya gives a chuckle. Even he knows what is going on. He has seen the spectacle. He has seen it all, everything. He sees everything. He sees all the light-skin Nairobabes that pass by with their crazy crop tops and ridiculous weaves. He is always there. The ever-present, chubby Tom Mboya.
Even those who do not take drastic measures like our artificial sisters still express their dissatisfaction by doing make up of all sorts. But this one doesn’t seem to me like dissatisfaction over skin colour. Even white people do this. Again, I do not understand this witchcraft but I know one thing: after people who do not keep their promises and me when I do not keep mine, I hate makeup. But I won’t say much. I will stop there. I might lose many friends. I can already see Winnie looking at me with “bad eyes”. So I will say no more.
Have you ever walked along River Road, Dubois and other streets down there? Have you seen those women that persuade you to enter their shops to buy some lotions that make all the spots on your body disappear or some gel that smoothens your skin like you can’t believe? They are usually well (sexily) dressed but have you seen their faces? Tragedy. They look pale and they think they attract customers but really what they do is scare them away. Or at least they scare me away. If that’s what the products they sell do to people then no, thanks. I am perfect. Also, these ladies are always holding their phones. And they are always Infinix phones. Always. You can tell. You can spot an Infinix phone from a dozen miles away. Not just because of the crazy noises it makes but many, many other things that make an Infinix phone a particularly interesting device. The other day a very good friend of mine was telling me things about my phone. He is extremely positive and confident that my phone is an Infinix, an allegation I will neither affirm nor deny. That’s not all; he is very sorry for my predicament and has suggested some ways to ocope with being an owner of an Infinix phone:
Infinix phones overheat. It is just a problem that you have to deal with from time to time. Natural occurrence. It is not easy but what do you do? Simple. Go to your gallery. Check your photos. Select photos of people who have sweaters on. Delete them. Oh, and all the hot chicks. Delete them. All of them (God, I wonder if I'll ever be in any Infinix owner's gallery). This action automatically lowers the temperatures. Incredible, right?
Hanging. This happens all the time. But no need to worry. Again reach for your gallery. Select photos of all hard headed individuals. Erase them as soon as possible. Free your phone. Free your Infinix.
See, it’s possible to live happily ever after with an Infinix. It’s all in the gallery.
Now that cosmetics will be taxed in Kenya, what will happen to our ladies? I am very happy because we will all be real. Woe unto you if you were still saving up to buy some bleaching agent. This is a sign. Change your plans. Go buy chips and chicken at Altona and have a good time. You need to have a good time. You do not need to change yourself. You do not need bleaching agents. With your dark skin and black, kinky African hair, you're just fine. No, you're perfect. Gal, you are perfect.

33 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm the deviant here, who despite having an overload of testosterone, still went on to read this piece. And the first person I share this link with: Mercy Semeyian. Sharon alleges that you ripe people are snatching their boyfriends. Dammit.

    But you're such a writer. And an even more beautiful soul than verasidikating can achieve in a million years.

    Good write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chad, your testosterone requires eradication. You're an embarrassment to your brethren who are deep asleep and snoring and dreaming about us.

      Mercy particularly is one ripe lady I am terrified of. I will send her my wedding invitation but hope deep down that she will not attend. You will be very busy that day, right Mercy?

      Thank you Chadwick. I really appreciate☺

      Delete
  2. I'm actually looking for words to describe how good this is but I can't be able to come up with anything lol so I'm just going to say it is really really really incredibly good and that it has made my day😊. Please write moreπŸ˜€πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually looking for words to describe how good this is but I can't be able to come up with anything lol so I'm just going to say it is really really really incredibly good and that it has made my day😊. Please write moreπŸ˜€πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana Rose!
      These words are just enough. Thank you. I appreciate😊 I'm glad that you enjoyed it and had your day made.
      Will I write more? I will definitely write more.
      Keep reading!😊

      Delete
  4. Its both intellectual and freaking hilarious. Love this piece! Keep writing and inspiring and making me laugh. ��������

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its both intellectual and freaking hilarious. Love this piece! Keep writing and inspiring and making me laugh. ��������

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pritty!
      I will be happy to inspire you. I will be more than happy to make you laugh.
      Keep reading, stay inspired, stay happy!

      Delete
  6. you are living a lie,sister girl
    ,πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚,,nice piece sharon,,

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Or those times you take a selfie at sunset and a passing ray of light accidentally falls on your face and illuminates it perfectly."

    The wording in that had me cracked up all morning. When you picture a "ray of light" passing by and it "accidentally falls on your face." That personification makes rays look like funny actors.

    This is an absolute masterpiece. A cutting will have to be framed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say that from experience. Rays of sunshine are really funny actors. They are sneaky and deceiving.

      But thank you, Felix. Thank you☺

      Delete
  8. Enjoyed reading this piece. What a talent you are. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sister gal !!!I love your take on colourism ...too many times I've experienced the `you'd be so much prettier if you we're lighter ' OK girl bye with your misconstrued ideas on beauty smh .I love this .
    but just to say I think make up is good ,it's a form of art and expression in my opinion and I would encourage those interested in it to pursue it .The problem we have in Kenya is that the quality makeup products are often times expensive while the easily available ones are the made in China ones ��Not that there's anything wrong with the Chinese but what would they possibility know about our skin tones and the different shades we posses ..but that's the unfortunate truth .Make up is good ,let's just encourage more people to watch more tutorials ��.
    This has been a novel by Anita smh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, who do we have here!
      Anita Sein. Sister girl, it's an honour.
      I see your novel. Can I say you're already too pretty, one more shade of 'lightness' would just destroy your black beauty?πŸ˜‰ Don't listen to them.
      About makeup, I don't know the first thing about it.Like I said, I will say no more. I just don't like the way some of our ladies wear it, mostly overdoing it and looking disastrous. But you say it's a form of art. So it's a form of art? And art is good!
      Everybody, Anita says that you should pursue art so that you can know how to do it right. I think it would be wise to invest in good quality makeup that's appropriate for your skin. You are too precious to settle for less.
      And when Anita says you should watch tutorials, you watch tutorials. You leave what you're doing and download a tutorial. Anita is wise. Wisdom per square inchπŸ˜€

      Anita, really nice to hear from you. By the way, how's your hair doing?πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜€

      Delete
  10. Hahaha interesting read... I like your choice of words too. And thanks for being generous with the tips on how to cope with our i-nfinix(pun intended) phones... I'm indifferent on the subject of make up so I'll just leave it at that. Write on, writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Antonina.

      The outbreak of the Infinix phones menace has been real. It's effects, tremendous. Now that you're armed with the remedies, it is important to share them like I was happy to share with you. Let's keep sharing them save the world.πŸ˜€
      We will leave makeup as it is,right?
      And I'llkeep writing. Keep reading, Antonina!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Antonina.

      The outbreak of the Infinix phones menace has been real. It's effects, tremendous. Now that you're armed with the remedies, it is important to share them like I was happy to share with you. Let's keep sharing them save the world.πŸ˜€
      We will leave makeup as it is,right?
      And I'llkeep writing. Keep reading, Antonina!

      Delete
  11. We are wonderfully made. That's my angel Sharon Koech. Keep it up! I can't wait for the next piece. Right more and more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juma! Thanks!
      I'm excited to see you here. Thank you. I appreciate.
      I will definitely write more and more and more.

      Delete
    2. I see what you did there, Fee😎

      Delete
  12. But men, you can go to sleep now. It’s bed time gentlemen. Tuck tight and dream about us..... nice one. this only made me want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, curiosity will kill you oh!πŸ˜€
      But thanks. I like a curious and inquisitive mind.
      Keep reading!

      Delete
  13. (Natural light skins: I really do not want to talk much about these people. They are the ones upon whom the favour of the Lord is bestowed. They make the rest of us look cursed. They who steal our boyfriends. A total betrayal to the black race. A total disgrace. I do not like them.)-Woe to the black race for their happiness shall be short-lived,woe to the natural light skins for they shall be judged in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woe unto everyone now,Maxwell?πŸ˜€
      What about the artificial light skins? Woe unto them too? I hope so. That they shall receive their punishmentπŸ˜€πŸ˜‰

      Delete
  14. Enter your comment...this is hilarious and educative

    ReplyDelete