Monday 8 August 2016

So The Other Day 1 by Duncan Kilonzo

So since it was agreed by the school management that our class will be having stupid meaningless breaks a.k.a long holidays after every semester, I have tried to become accustomed to the fact that I might not graduate with the same president in power or maybe even the fact that two World Cup games might happen while I am still trying to understand calculus and other non-related units in school. Like any other creative fellow yaani wale wajanjez, I have been making the most of these home periods by undertaking stuff that may or may not help me better myself. Four months, four freaking months of boredom is what I have to endure every other four months of study. Now I know most of you normally get jobs or internships or go back to ushago to help susu plough the land to get money for your next semester’s fee, mnajijua, you know, constructive things that provide a sense of belonging and purpose to your life. But I can’t classify everyone in this cocoon of brave and kind breed, of course kuna wale kama mimi who do useless, non-sensical things just to pass the time.  P.S; I am warning you that none of this while help you grow academically, financially or in any other way, but if you’re in my circle of time-wasters, then this is the perfect way to pass time.
It is Sunday and I am seated there, in my small bedsitter “apartment” in Ngara having breakfast in bed(as if I have an option) I peer out through the small opening that passes as a window to admire the sun rays that slowly filter and flood the place with ambient light bringing a cosy feeling with it. This feeling is however short-lived as I hear a loud banging of the door, followed by a huge silhouette figure that is now blocking the sun rays. This startles me out of my oblivious state and I almost pour what is remaining of the strungi that is my breakfast but I expertly catch it in time. I jump out of bed, accidentally stepping on what’s left of yesterday’s supper, ugali madondo and head on lazily to open the door. As soon as I have the door latches open, the weak door is swung wide open, hurling me backwards on my back onto the damp floor underneath. Confused and not knowing what’s up, I look up at the giant of a man that is now angrily staring at me, heaving heavily kama zile bulls za western kwa akina Khalwale. I quickly try to google his face in my brain memory up to no avail, who is this guy, but I immediately guess maybe it’s one of those mistaken identity cases, labda nafanana na mtu mwingine mwenye akona deni yake. But all this confusion is cleared up immediately when he, in a harsh grumbling sound asks, “Ako wapi Suzie!!?”
Now, I told you that during the long holidays I do some pretty stupid stuff, well this was one of them. You see, last Friday I had gone to my friend’s birthday party in the next plot, dressed in my usual killer Sunday-best outfit, a checked Vybz Kartel sweatshirt (zile za Ngara) a faded pair of trousers that I had inherited from my elder brother and worn out third-hand bubble gummers shoes I had bought for 200bob from my local shoe dealer, Mose, ooh and a hint of Binti wa Fatuma cologne. After a slight mvutano with the plot’s watchman, Wafula he lets me in after kumpea chai. Ian, or commonly referred to as Greezy, the birthday boy, welcomes me warmly saying, ”Falai mbona haujakuja na mzinga” slightly angered that I have arrived empty-handed with no gifts, I however ignore this with a smile and we head on to the third floor where the party is going down. Up to this day I have never understood how so many people could fit in a bedsitter room, smaller than mine. There are like 30 people present, all from around the estate, mostly here for the free drinks and staunch members of team Mafisi hard on the prowl. As in all previous occasions, the girl-boy ratio was too high, with one girl for every four dudes, just crazy. But that’s the exact moment I spotted her. Suzie.
Standing on the far end balcony by herself, slightly leaning on the safety grills, holding an almost empty red party cup, she seemed distant from the others, and given by her good charming looks, I was perplexed as to why nobody from team Mafisi was approaching her. So I gather my courage, have a quick breath check, get a red cup filled halfway and approach her. At first she ignores me, not even stealing a single glance in my direction, still gazing out onto the night sky. She is a snob, I immediately think to myself, and that’s prolly the reason why no guy is around her. But this doesn’t deter me from trying a shot at her. So I throw some vibes I had learnt from watching too much Tujuane show on my neighbor’s T.V, hoping ataingia box. This, surprisingly starts working as she is now laughing at my jokes, jokes that I didn’t even find funny myself, happy with the progress, I offer some drinks, an offer she accepts willingly. Being fully sober all through, I rummage through all of my jokes and pick-up-lines vocabulary, each cheesier than the previous, telling her of how pretty and soft her hair looks (ata kama tunajua ni ya Abuja) and to make matters even more interesting, she suddenly gets up, grabs my left hand behind her and leads my out of the plot, silent all through, with a wide smile plastered on her face. Everybody in the party notices this, and from the corner of my eye I could notice members of team Mafisi congratulating me for my “achievement.”
I am pretty sure what you are thinking happens next was what I was thinking would happen too, but things didn’t go as I had envisioned in my mind. So Suzie is still holding my hand, a bit too tightly for comfort and is walking hurriedly and in a jumpy frenzied mood, momentarily casting a seductive glance back at me, whilst biting her lower lip. Granted, at the moment all I know about this girl is her name, Suzie, full stop, other things like where she lives or what is her favorite color ama food is still a mystery to me. So I follow her blindly, not really sure of what to expect, of whether to be happy or curious. This is all interrupted as she abruptly stops next to some building, gives me a quick pec, a long hug followed by another quick pec on the other cheek and suddenly whizzes away into the darkness and into the nearby building without even uttering a single word all through…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment